Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Moroccan Chicken with Chickpeas and Apricots

It's recipe time!

See, I have this deal with Kes' dad, John - a newly established deal, not really set in stone, but a nice challenge nonetheless. Our washing machine broke about a month and a half back, and since the things are so damn expensive - and I refuse to take one on terms because it adds about R2,000 to the total price - we are currently without said Western luxury! But D-Day is nearing - the end of this month we will be getting my new baby!

This is where the deal comes in. As I've said before, love is a bestie letting her bestie come over to do her washing when her washing machine breaks. And this is what Kes did - it must be love! So for the past 6 or so weeks I've been heading over to Kes' place about once a week to do some washing. John is a big lover of food, and she happened to mention my Greek-style liver dish to him - and he was only too keen I make it! So I obliged. As we were finishing up dinner (which was a huge hit!), he discovered that I'd been been making use of their washing machine, and so has "demanded" a new recipe every time I go over as recompense. Since I go about every week, this is a bit of a challenge! Like I said, he loves his food, and he can be fussy! But I think I have one for this week - my Moroccan chicken with chickpeas and apricots.


The first time I made this for Rod he nearly ate his fingers he enjoyed it so much, and it has since become a staple in our home. It's one of my own invention - I've become quite adept at turning a few end-of-the-month ingredients in the cupboard into a reason to party - so I hope you enjoy it as much as he did!

{I don't have a picture, since I made it up, but next time I make it I'll take a photo and add it in for your enjoyment}

Ingredients

4 - 6 chicken pieces of your choice
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can apricot halves, half drained
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp coriander
2 tbs olive oil 
1 tbs crushed garlic (we're a Leb household, so tons of garlic!)
lemon juice
honey
sea salt (I like to use the one in the grinder)
freshly ground black pepper

What You Do

1. Preheat your oven to 180˚C.
2. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and season the skin with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and brown the chicken skin side down.
4. Remove the chicken to a large baking dish (skin side up) and bake for about half and hour.
5. In the meantime, in the same pan, gently fry the garlic until soft but not browned.
6. Sprinkle in the cumin, cinnamon and coriander and stir well - it will form a paste.
7. Add the chickpeas and stir before adding the apricots.
8. When everything is sizzling nicely, add lemon juice to taste (I add about 2 tbs) and a good drizzle of honey.
9. Cover and allow to simmer on a medium heat for about 10 min, stirring regularly.
10. Add the mix to the baking dish with the chicken, cover with foil (shiny side down) and bake until the chicken is completely cooked.
11. Serve with potatoes, pita bread or couscous, and a simple side salad. Et voila!

Enjoy!

Until next time!
Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...