Monday, May 28, 2012

The Big Day {30 Day Challenge}

{Your dream wedding}

As you know (or at least I assume you do by now), I'm already married. But that doesn't stop a girl from dreaming... Don't get me wrong, I loved my wedding! It was a nice size at 80 guests, the food was good, and the best part, of course, was that I married my Roddy. That doesn't mean that there aren't a few things I would change though...

Look! It's us!

When Rod and I got engaged, we knew we'd be paying for our wedding ourselves, so we settled into a nice, long engagement - 19 months long - to save enough money to make it happen. At just under R800 a head all-included, it was still a small budget wedding, and so I took on a lot of the work myself to cut costs - DIY stationery, favours and some decor. I always wanted a wedding with lots of flowers, but since I'd chosen roses and lilies, I knew that wasn't going to happen!


I came up with an idea that would work for us and hired a florist - or so I thought. About 4 weeks before our wedding, when I emailed all our suppliers to confirm the times and delivery schedules, I received a snotty response from our florist telling me she'd never received the deposit and so didn't book our date. In response I re-forwarded the proof of payment and requested (demanded) an explanation. It softened her up a tad and she said that although she was fully booked she could maybe help us. Here's a tip brides-to-be - MAYBE is not good enough! We were able to get our money back, but that still didn't solve our dilemma.

As anyone who's ever planned a wedding will tell you, trying to find a florist for an October wedding in South Africa four weeks in advance is next to impossible, but our photographer came to the rescue! He referred me to a wonderful florist who was able to step in and help with the bouquets and buttonholes to lighten the load, but I still had to do the rest. Long story short, I spent the weeks leading up to my wedding not relaxing, but sewing overlays and runners, buying candles, printing and laminating photos for our centrepieces, buying vases, washing vases, washing vases, washing vases... Since I wouldn't be able to use the flowers I wanted, I bought dry arrangement bunches from Mr Price Home and put a few dry arrangements together for the main table.


At the end of the day it looked okay. Guests keep telling me how lovely and unique it was, but I still feel there was something missing. Deep down I wish I had my copious amounts of flowers... And perhaps a good night sleep. That is one thing I wish I could change...

The second thing, and it's a big thing (there's a pun in there!) is the venue. Our venue was beautiful, I loved it! Simple, small, beautiful gardens. I don't for a moment regret choosing it! But my heart has always belonged to Kimberley, and if I could have my absolute dream wedding, it would be a destination wedding in Old Town at the Big Hole.

German Lutheran Church of St Martini

An intimate ceremony at the German Lutheran Church of St Martini, drnks at the bandstand, an outdoor reception in the cobbled square surrounded by such historic buildings as Leo Simmons, seller of musical instruments, and J. Pritchett, tailor. Sounds like heaven to me. For one night to be transported back in time to days of old... Rod and I want to renew our vows on our tenth anniversary, so maybe then we'll have an intimate gathering in Old Town. In fact, I'm putting that in my diary. Done.

Leo Simmons
If you want to have a look see at our actual wedding, just click here!

Until tomorrow!
Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...