Monday, June 25, 2012

{DIY} Custom Cloth Napkins

It's been a good long while since I shared some DIY inspiration with you! Too long, in fact! I really love the idea of adding that personal touch to an event, and I find that often the best ideas are the simplest ones! That's why I can believe I'd never though of this before!

I'd always thought of napkins as more functional that decorative - just a bit of cloth to protect one's clothing from the perils of stray food. But with a little paint, and a bit of creativity, they can become much more than that! I'm definitely going to be trying this, even if just for the rare dinner party I host!

Here's what you do!

1. Start off with a simple store-bought cloth napkin - or if you're feeling energetic you can make up a few with some cloth of your choice, all you need is a sewing machine and a little know-how!

2. Store-bought stencils are great, but I prefer to make my own - it gives me freedom to choose my wording and font. To make your own stencil, simply print to your desired size on plain printer paper and cut out the wording with an art knife.



3. Tape your stencil to the desired spot on your napkin and dab on your choice of fabric paint with a sponge applicator. Remove the stencil gently and allow to dry thoroughly - for at least 30 minutes!

4. Once dry, iron over the wording to set it - this will ensure that your paint lasts through washing!


If paint is not your style, simply print your design on transfer paper and iron on to your napkin! It couldn't be easier!

There are so many options when it comes to customising your napkins - use the numbers or names or your tables for weddings or larger events, use cute or fun words, or even use your guests' names and let the napkins double as place cards and favours!

Until next time, happy DIYing!
Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...