Monday, June 18, 2012

The One Ring, The Only Trilogy {30 Day Challenge}

{Your favourite movie}


No matter what anyone may say, no matter what evidence may be launched in my direction, there is none better than The Lord of the Rings! No argument thank you! Since the first moment I turned on Fellowship at the end of my Matric year, I've been hooked. In the three month break between school and varsity I watched it every time it was aired on DSTV, even if that involved waking up at 3am! And when Towers came out that December, I went twice. I couldn't get enough!

A few years back Rod bought me the twelve disc extended edition set, and I can't remember how many times I've done a trilogy marathon. Nearly twelve hours of uninterrupted Rings - bliss! Rod can't understand it - in his mind the only trilogy is Star Wars, but I respectfully disagree. A trilogy can't consist of six movies. Game over. LOTR - 1, Star Wars - 0.

There are many reasons I love Rings, I could write an essay, but I'll spare you. Instead, you can have some easy study points.

  1. It is a classic - an original story created by a very imaginative, very talented man - not some poor rehash of an overused idea.
  2. The cinematography is exquisite! Every time I watch I'm transported to another time and place...
  3. The characters were perfectly cast.
  4. The sets were divine, and the locations so beautiful I could weep! 
  5. The costuming is gorgeous - who hasn't imagined donning one of Arwen's or Eowyn's gowns, or Rohirrim armour? I myself have donned a Snuggie as a robe and pretended to be Gandalf. Fun times!
  6. Last, but certainly not least, it has everything a good story needs - magic, action, romance, philosophy, old world chivalry, the strong female character, humour, a Sean Bean death scene, camaraderie, a faceless (and therefore more terrifying) bad guy, and of course, sufficient eye candy to jump start the heart of a dying spinster. 
If you are one of the two people on the planet who haven't seen these movies, GO RENT THEM NOW! You've missed an important part of your education!

Until tomorrow!
Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...