Tuesday, June 12, 2012

To Whom It May Concern {30 Day Challenge}

{A letter to someone who has hurt you recently}

To whom it may concern

This is a letter I could never send. This is a letter that will remain unaddressed. If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that to speak out, to defend, to stand up for oneself is to become a pariah. And so I write this letter knowing that you will never see it, never read it, never understand that it is meant for you.

What I feel is not a hurt, we've gone beyond that. What I feel is anger - an anger born of a deep betrayal. I allow so few close enough to cause me pain. Through life, through circumstance, no, through necessity, I have always been slow to trust. I have always taken time in allowing others close enough to touch me. I've always been so careful. But I let you in. God knows I opened that door. I allowed you close enough to know me, to understand my joys and my pain. And you betrayed that trust.

I have few secrets, my emotions are sketched across the plains of my face, but when I choose to keep something secret, something sacred, I hold it so close to me, so deep down inside that the world has no glimpse of it. Some of these things I've shared with you.  I regret that now. More deeply than I regret most mistakes I've made. I know now that I was wrong to trust you, I was in error. Your betrayal has proved me wrong, made a fool of me, and a fool I am not. A fool I refuse to be. This is why I feel no pain, only a deep-seated anger. An anger that no words can calm. Again I am the victim of your vicious tongue, sharper than a guillotine, quick to speak and slow to apologise.

My life is not yours to share, it is mine alone. You have no claim to it. None do but I.

What you stir in me now is apathy. Apathy and dread. I've cast you out of my heart. Any love I may have had for you has been burned away. A time will come when my anger will calm, time can do that, but a keen mind never forgets, a heart never forgets.

You have bruised me for the last time. You have, by your words, left me naked and exposed for the last time. Expect nothing more of me, for I expect nothing more of you. You exist in my life now out of duty, and no more.

This is where our story ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...