Sunday, June 10, 2012

Why "Jade & Jasmine"? {30 Day Challenge}

{The meaning behind your blog name}

This blog, my baby, was named for my business - Jade & Jasmine Wedding Design. That was the easy part. When I decided I wanted to start blogging, I knew I wanted to focus on all things wedding. The other stuff is fun too, but weddings are my passion! So it seemed only fitting that I unite the two under one umbrella. Coming up with my business name was the hard part...

When I was in wedding school, as part of our final project we had to create a business. I knew that my business would go beyond the theoretical to the practical, so I wanted a name that would weather well. I anguished over the matter for a day or two, and eventually sat down with a notepad and pen and started drafting ideas.

I wanted something that hearkened back to weddings, but used none of the obvious words - white, wedding, or my name! I liked the idea of "something" & "something", so I started toying with various combinations.

Eventually, I turned to flowers. I've always loved jasmine, for me it's always symbolised new beginnings, a nice sentiment. But the meanings of things are quite important to me - things, and certainly people, tend to live up to their names, and I didn't want to base a wedding business on something that meant "distrust" or "jealousy". Jasmine means "good luck". I smiled. I researched the meanings of other flowers, but none of them thrilled me. Then I had a moment of genius. My second name is Jade - a semiprecious stone - and stones have meanings too. I looked it up - it means wisdom and prosperity. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Jade & Jasmine - wisdom, prosperity and good luck. An apt blessing for a marriage.

Until tomorrow!
Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...